Sunday 15 September 2013

Are makeup wipes bad for your skin?






Makeup wipes- Easy, convenient and relatively cheap. We all love the efficiency of them, but do we really know what they're doing to our skin? There's a lot of talk about makeup wipes and how bad they are for your skin, but are they really that damaging, and if so, why?

Well according to skin experts, wipes are soaked in a lot of chemicals. The wipes are packed on top of each other, which is a breeding ground for bacteria. For wipes to be kept on shelves for a long time, they requite preservatives, anti-bacteriaal agents and alcohol. I also find that with wipes, they require you to rub them quite vigorously, especially around my eyes when trying to remove stubborn mascara, therefore we are pushing these chemicals into our skin. You are also pushing the makeup into the skin, so in actual fact, all of the makeup doesn't get removed, it just goes deeper into your pores. 

As a person with sensitive skin, I've always found it difficult to find wipes that don't cause irritation, as they have often given me rashes and dried out my skin. Irritation is definitely the biggest turn off with wipes and even some of the sensitive ones I've tried still gave me a rash. I also hate that they can be expensive, with some wipes costing £3/4 a pop and some of them are not moisturised enough and feel dry as soon as you open a new packet. The wipes I have been using for a long time are Lacura by Aldi. They are only 89p and the best wipes I have ever used. They are highly moisturised and never irritate my skin.

 Even though I love these wipes and the convenience of them, after reading all of the bad things about them, I've decided to ditch them, but what do I use now? Well makeup remover creams are much better as they contain moisturiser so they don't leave your skin feeling dry, but then you need to buy cotton pads, so its down to whether you want the convenience or good skin. However, I've decided to try the new craze at the minute which is micellar water. Aimed at all skin types, but particulary those with sensitive skins, these waters are alcohol free and many are removers and toners in one. I have started to use Bioderma Sensibo H2O and I'm also trying L'Oréal Paris Skin Perfection 3 in 1 Purifying Micellar Solution and I will be reviewing these products soon.

So, will you be trading in your wipes for a cream or micellar water??

xoxo

2 comments :

  1. I loved this post! So helpful, I always knew they were bad but I didn't really understand why. x

    www.crazylins.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I didn't know either until I done some research and I'm glad I did. Happy I could help x

      Delete